New Barn and visiting Kira

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Riding in the Chaos!

So yesterday I went to the barn to play and ride with Duck. There were SO many people there! I've hardly ever seen that many people there at once, especially in the winter. It was kind of chilly and very windy too!

I saddled up Duck. I've been playing with her shims some, trying to adjust etc to see if I can get on my balance point better. Well today she was somewhat happier. She had happy ears at the trot probably 75% of the time which was great!

We actually started in the round corral and on a whim I decided to do some liberty. I turned her loose and we did a couple figure 8's at liberty. I then put the barrels down trying to get her to squeeze over them, but it was more of a lazy crash through! :)

Then off to the arena. It was pretty crowded. There were 2 trainers both with lessons going on, and then a couple girls that own horses riding, and their friends on the ground as well. Of course the practice arena was empty. I chose this arena just for that reason. See, it very rarely there is anyone else in the arena when I ride/play, at the most 1-2 others and that is only occasionally. 

Duck has a rather large personal "bubble." So I wanted to see if she is getting any better with the other horses and help desensitize her to the groups. We were playing follow the rail and a million transitions. Of course as usual when there are distractions she ignores me, so I was really trying to be particular and effective in getting a downward transition. Towards the end she was listening much better to my body language. 

For the most part she didn't have big issues with the horses in the ring. One of the trainers was eating her lunch while teaching and had a bowl of something. Duck kept trying to stop and take me over there to see if it was something for her!

And that was it, about an hour just riding up and downward transitions just to the trot.

I'm so excited though because I get to go to a playday on Feb 28th! And a 4 day level 2/3 camp in June with Carol Coppinger at her place in Tennessee. I'm so excited! I haven't done a clinic or anything "Parelli" with a group (minus a couple trail rides) for almost 2 years now. 

Now I REALLY need to get Duck confident with the trailer!

Did I mention how excited I am for the playday and the camp!!! :)


No comments: