New Barn and visiting Kira

Friday, February 20, 2009

Cloverleaf

Well on Tuesday Duck and I played with the cloverleaf pattern. We started at the walk and did a whole pattern to the left, and then she felt pretty good so we trotted. She caught on pretty quick! The first few long stretches across the arena I had to do a few corrections to keep her straight, but then after that she headed straight for the barrels I set up as markers. We had one spook in the far corner of the arena but to my own surprise I just was able to push and disengage her and then I restarted. 

See I learned the "grip as hard as you can" to stay on, and this habit is dying hard. 

What I was most impressed with is the fact that we DID trot the cloverleaf pattern both ways at the trot with hardly any breaks of gait. She was however trying to turn before the very end of the arena (which I need to be more consistent about correcting) but WOW! We were trotting, and she had happy ears almost the whole time! Yeah! I know it is a small thing, but this is the first time since I have had Duck that I have done enough trotting for me to (and her) to break a sweat. 

I am attributing it to the following, or a combination of these things:

1) properly shimmed saddle. This is the first thing that comes to mind because this is the second time I have ridden her with the new shim arrangement. Last time she was happier for a little and then went sour and stopped.

2) Me having a very strong Focus (and a plan). I admit I kind of lack in the leadership department here! (Yeah for patterns!)

3) Duck is getting more confident under saddle with me

4) I didn't play nearly as long online. In fact just on my way to the arena. Preflight checks etc. This could have helped too, because sometimes she doesn't want to go because she is done energy wise...

Of course on Wednesday it POURED rain, so no riding, Thursday I was working at the barn (it is just awful to see her look at my van and keep driving past to go to work) and today I have been stuck at home with the painters doing our final repairs on the house. So off to the barn tomorrow and we'll do it all again!

2 comments:

keri said...

You are so dedicated! It's awesome! I'm glad to see that you enjoy riding just as much as you used to. But don't you miss those FREEZING cold winter days riding in corner canyon with yours truly?

Unknown said...

hi ya - glad to read that your horse liked trotting the CL pattern. I started at walk just the other day and he liked it to my surprise since he is a LBI but he got all snooty and wiggly in trot - how long between E's did you space? I did 30 steps so think I will try longer...