New Barn and visiting Kira

Monday, February 9, 2009

A bunch of stuff!

Wow what a beautiful day today! Duck was happy to see me. Yesterday I let her graze a bunch and she was happy about that.

So I am trying to get my shims all arranged better. Lets just say that to say the least my saddle is too narrow, and too small for my post kid bottom. :) But beings how a new fusion isn't in the budget (or even a wintec for that matter) I am donig the best I can with what I have. But I had to buy more shims which arrived on Saturday.

After looking at the instructions I decided to try a wedge shim with 2 thick shims. Duck doesn't have a high wither, isn't really downhill etc, but my saddle has got to be too narrow. Besides the fact that it puts me right on my frontside like close contact/jumping saddles tend to do anyway. I just could NOT get on my balance point consistently. What a difference today though! I actually felt much more secure and Duck seemed quite a bit happier trotting around. Her ears weren't back near as much and she was doing pretty well maintaining gait (until she saw grass!)

We just did follow the rail and some transitions today. I'm not sure if she's getting bored with it or not, but our downward transitions are still not that great. I am having to use my reins too much. I need to her stop more from my seat. I will keep playing with it!

Before I rode though we played on the 22ft line. Today I decided to try trotting sideways on the 22ft (with the fence). She did it, with slack in the line every time but really nasty ears too. Both directions same story. But she was being very responsive with slack in the line so I figured I'd try a little liberty.

So I took off her halter (this is in the big practice ring) and we played "stick to me." Our stick to me is getting pretty decent at the walk and trot on a good day. She still gets crabby ears though while trotting. Well we did the weave, a figure 8, went through a lane and then back out, and backed her through 2 upright barrels all at liberty! I only lost her once when she went ahead of me while trotting and she didn't even go that far just her behind had passed me when I was able to turn her around!

This was great considering that we haven't done liberty in quite awhile and when we did it wasn't great so I just left it alone for awhile.

It was a great session on a beautiful day!

No comments: