New Barn and visiting Kira

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Another buddy!

Ok so today it was still HOT! We didn't play too much on the ground today. The big arena was open (they took all the lesson kids to a cross country course today) so I jumped at the chance to ride in there. I haven't ridden in the big arena in several weeks, maybe even before the end of June! I decided to use the bareback pad today and for our warm up on the ground I squeezed Duck over some of the small jumps and ground poles and the like. 

I decided to try and get on without a mounting block bareback! Well I USED to be able to do this with ease, and could still do it with my 13.1hh mustang, but not with Duck! She was quite patient while I tried bellyup jump, swinging up from the side, to no avail. I decided to get on an upright barrel as a mounting block. This went well, a lot better than last time. Last time she wasn't sure about me being all the way up there. And while today she wasn't 100% you could tell she was much better with it than last time!

Today I was still focusing on getting turns using my body and not so much rein. The walk is still going well. Trotting is another issue. Although today I did get a few decent turns I was still having to resort to using the reins (and too strongly for that matter) so we went back to the walk. 

When trotting though we were headed toward the far end of the arena (closest to her barn) to the patch of grass. I had played point to point the last few times I was in this arena. Duck remembered.  She offered a nice canter, it was about 8 strides to the grass patch. But it felt so much better than yesterday's. More balanced and she wasn't thinking about bucking me off! Yeah!

So we did some grazing and a couple times transitioning into the canter along with sidepassing over ground poles and backing between 2 poles and also a little bit of figure 8 around the barrel (tried the trot again it was better).

There is another lady at our barn  that is studing level 1 as well as Clinton Anderson! Yeah! I am happy about that! She even said she had loaned her level 1 to the trainer for the kids to watch. Very cool! I am just happy that some other people KNOW what Parelli is!

We ended our session by riding back to Duck's stall with our new riding buddy! Yeah! 




No comments: