New Barn and visiting Kira

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

More Play!

So I worked at the barn last weekend and played with Duck both days. That gave me a total of 7 days in a row that I played with her! That is a record for us!
Saturday was interesting. I wanted to play more with driving from zone 5. We played with it on the way to the arena in zones 3 & 4. I played off to the side in zone 5 some as well. We had one glitch where I wasn't clear I was trying to get Duck to yield zone one and turn on the long line but we were near the fence. I got a hardwired sideways response! I obviously put too much pressure on because what followed was a RB explosion that dragged me halfway across the arena, TWICE! OK! BFO after finally sitting back and seeing what happened. Too much pressure instead of me making it clearer for her while driving in zone 4/5, followed by pressure on a send on a circle and WHAMMOOO running, bucking snorting Duck! Well at least I am starting to figure out why and can say that instead of it being as common of an occurence like it was last fall, we haven't gone there as much until Saturday. Needless to say I spent the rest of my time trying to fix it and I didn't ride.

Sunday was much better. I played with some more "truth" at liberty in the large arena. I am surprised she sticks to me pretty well and will follow me over obstacles and I can send her to and from some as well and a decent Yo-Yo. We did a bit of sideways at liberty as well.

Then I rode and tried some more safe "truth" with a savvy string around her neck (as well as my hackamore for backup). I wanted to see where we were in riding off my seat and leg. Not as good as I had hoped! But we did get some decent turns and a few stops. I am going to keep playing with it. Riding Bridle less has always been one of my biggest goals and until I started Parelli I had no idea how to go about it. Now it still feels like it is far off but I feel a little closer on how it can come together. I could still use some more direction on it though!




No comments: