New Barn and visiting Kira

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Weave pattern

Well I haven't written in a while but I have played with Duck. I played with her both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday we played for almost 2 hours and then the kids came and did a pony ride on her.

Saturday's session was playing a bit with liberty (very short) which was just stick to me. I obviously totally ruined her confidence in me at liberty and it will be a slow process to get it back I am sure. 

Then riding we did the weave pattern on the barrels. I wish I had some exciting stuff to say about it but not too much. Just introducing the pattern at a walk, our hardest part is the turn to go around and do it again! I also tried to canter her because she seemed willing but then she bucked a few good bucks and I slowed her down. Thankfully it doesn't take too much to get her to shut down. It always catches me off guard when she does that. Well I did slow her down but the second time I was more prepared so I asked again and off we went. No problems, got about a half a lap around the arena which is fine with me!

Sunday we played again with the weave pattern on the 22' line. I realized how hard of a time I have keeping my feet still! Need to work on that! Then I got on and we did the pattern walking. Then trotting. She did pretty good with a cookie at the end for motivation, but then she started getting crabby ears and defensive about it. So I slowed it down and we repeated at the walk. Then we did the trot again and she was nicer about it. Online we also practiced yo-yo's into the arena and also outside the arena on a small mound of dirt both online and mounted!

I am getting really excited to go to savvy conference in one week! WOW! I can't wait!
Plus my HUGEST bonus is that my sister offered to give me a lesson on one of her horses that is good at cantering around a bunch so I can work on myself! I've had issues with riding a 13.1 hh mustang for 15 years almost exclusively and now have Duck who is around 15 hands or so. The stride is SO different to me and my seat is very lacking! It will be SO nice to practice on a seasoned horse again so I can become more comfortable with it without effecting Duck badly!


No comments: