New Barn and visiting Kira

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Successful Trail Ride and Trailer Loading!

Last night I went to drop off my freshly laundered ropes to the barn. Niels and I were on our way to dinner. Well Duck wasn't feeling well. She was very lethargic, wasn't eating much grass etc. So we ended up staying there for quite awhile keeping an eye on her and also taking her vitals. They were normal 36 for pulse and 99.9 for temp. So we checked on her again on the way home from dinner and she seemed to be doing better but not 100%. So I didn't think I would be able to trail ride today...

Well this morning I went to check on her and she was back to her chippy cheery self! Yeah! I was supposed to ride with the savvy group at South Mountain. We ended up not going with that group because Lisa (my most wonderful friend that also trailers my horse for me) needed to get feed for her herd. Turns out it was better that I didn't for a few reasons.

1) I was still worried about Duck not feeling great and I didn't want to ride a long ways
2) Once we did go riding, she was sore on the gravel because she doesn't have shoes on
3) I wouldn't have been riding much at South Mountain because Lisa said it is really rocky and very steep there

So we opted for a shorter afternoon ride at Latta today. Of course I was curious how the trailer loading would go since the last time wasn't so great and to see if the simulations I did helped or not. Well it took about 20 minutes for her to gain her confidence enough to stay in.
Off we went to Latta! I didn't get any pictures today because I forgot my camera. Oh well, next time! Today was just the two of us, Lisa and I. Christa was working at the barn, and Becky couldn't come as well.

Duck almost smashed me trying to turn around in the trailer to get out. Mental note to work on backing her out slowly!

The ride went very well and uneventful except both Duck and Jake wanting to eat grass, A LOT!
Duck was very, very calm. We even rode at some of the road crossings around some traffic. No problem. The only thing she jumped at was crossing the crosswalk. It caught me off guard but she jumped, not bad and then continued on. We rode for an hour or so. Just walking. I need to get Duck some boots so she won't be so sore on the trail. Now I know that her feet aren't tough mustang feet but they held up pretty well considering she did 16-20 miles last week!

So we got back to the trailer and untacked. It was getting more humid by that time, she was pretty wet just under her saddle. I prepped myself for trailer loading time again, and she loaded once, then twice, and the third time she went in, and stayed in! She didn't have a problem with me going to do the divider or anything! When loading at the barn we played "it's more work to be out of the trailer" and also "there is a cookie ONLY when you get in the trailer." She certainly seemed to be catching on to the "cookie in the trailer" game! 

All in all it was a fun ride and a great day with Lisa, Jake, Duck and I. I look forward to many more. I just can't even write how happy I am to be able to get out on the trails again! I just love it! And I am so grateful to Lisa for so willingly trailering us everywhere even though we still have loading issues!


No comments: