New Barn and visiting Kira

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Improvement

Duck was in her stall again for the day since it is supposed to be very hot AGAIN! I got her out and went to play a little with this month's savvy club DVD concept of the ropes on the feet. It wasn't soft but we did make some progress on both the front and the hind. This served 2 purposes for me, to practice and make it better and also to get Duck ready for the farrier tomorrow!

Today we played on the ground some on the 22ft line outside the arenas but near them. First off Duck almost took me to the woods on her own today so I was excited that she would even go that way without my prompting!

There is a small ditch outside the arenas in a bit of a grassy/dirt area. We played squeeze over the ditch both ways. Then we played yo-yo (it wasn't a great back up) through the ditch a few times. She seems to be getting softer on the bring back which is nice. 

We went into the round pen next and played a little but I took the rope off very quickly. I wanted to try liberty again! I need to remind myself to put some obstacles in there for us next time. We did a little bit of sideways (w/ the use of the fence) a yo-yo (bring back was tough the first time but after a cookie on the return got better the second time), squeeze game between me and the fence and a bit of driving. All in all less than probably 8 minutes but I purposely keep it short!

Then we went to ride in the big practice arena where a girl was having a lesson on a big warmblood! Duck was doing well and the improvement today was great! Our direction was much better at the walk requiring a lot less effort and then the trot we started getting some direction with my body. I think it is me causing some of her problems trotting. I don't have the seat/balance down. How do I know I wasn't doing well on my balance point? Well let's just say I was a bit sore today where I shouldn't have been if I was on my balance point! 

So for me getting in the way it went pretty well. She still was getting rushed at the trot so we did a lot of disengagement to the walk along the fence line and also a million transitions. I felt she was resisting me on this today but when we passed the grass patch I knew why! She really wanted some grass (obviously grazing outside the arena's wasn't enough...silly me) so we stopped to graze a bit. We ended with going sideways over a ground pole. Didn't quite get it over the pole but did w/0 it.

I have to put in my greatest appreciation to Duck today though. The girl having her lesson was having a hard time stopping that big horse from a trot. They were doing ground poles and then a small crossrail. About the 3rd time she did the crossrail the horse came off cantering. Not too fast but you could tell she was really worried. He kept going and she couldn't slow him down (he still wasn't worried but was a bit quicker), then she finally screamed and he ran off fast. She lost her seat some and then the horse hopped a couple times and she fell off into the fence at the end of the arena. I felt so bad that she fell off. I wish there was something I could have done to help her. I have to say that Duck did remarkably well just standing there while this big horse ran around a bit RB'd. Exposure to other horses is helping to lower her personal bubble crabbiness!

We trotted a couple crossrails that she hopped over slightly. When getting back to her stall I wanted to back her in again (or try because it is very narrow) She kept rushing into the stall so I brought her out we found phase 4 to STOP before she went in. Turned her around, got her lined up, she then figured out what I wanted and backed right in! So now I know it IS possible even with that narrow of a door!

Tomorrow I probably won't be riding, just groundwork. Maybe we'll go check out the woods again....
The farrier is coming as well. Also going to to some undemanding time first. I think she is getting a bit tired from all the sudden riding!



No comments: