New Barn and visiting Kira

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Another Ride

Today I worked at the barn. So after I finished morning chores I decided to ride. I have to note that I bought Duck some horse treats at the tack store because I ran out of my homemade cookies. She doesn't like the store bought ones. She ate one and now she isn't interested at all and she keeps giving me the "where are my REAL treats?" question. But hey it's still a question!
Duck used to be kept on large pastures and able to graze a lot on real grass. Right now she is with one other horse and there is nothing but a couple weeds in her pen so she is very interested in grass. I have been trying to use this to my advantage! Today we played on the 22' and backed between 2 barrels. I am trying to be more aware of playing on the end of the 22' line in more preparation for liberty. It seems to be helping. We also did sideways from zone 1 and incorporated grass. 

For the riding part of our session we rode in the big practice arena today. Duck was for the most part much more relaxed being ridden. We trotted poles, stopped between the 2 barrels we previously backed through, and ate lots of grass as a reward (it is growing on the edges of the inside of the arena). Also did point to point with the grass and then did one whole lap of the arena using the same start/end point. The first time we trotted it. The second time Duck offered a canter so I went with it. I need to work on my cantering on another horse or something because I think I am just still so used to Kira and Duck has such a HUGE canter and very upright feeling compared to Kira. I feel so klutzy riding her canter! 

All in all it was a good session and there was definite improvement in our direction today as well. I still feel like I have to be too hard on the reins though when her idea isn't mine, so I need to find a more effective phase 4 a couple times so I can get it softened up. Tit for tat maybe? We've played that before too.


No comments: