New Barn and visiting Kira

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Yo-Yo with grass

Today was SO hot and humid (around 92 deg) and the only time I had to go to the barn was 1-3pm! I decided to brave it. It has been so long since I have played/ridden now that Duck was just so anxious to graze after my long absence. She has been stuck in her stall in the heat and her fan was broken so it was roasting in there! I decided to use the grass as an incentive so we proceeded to the best patch of grass which is between the dirt road and the hayfield (which is now cut and pretty much gone).
I decided I would yo-yo her on the 22 ft line while I was standing in the grass and back her onto the road. where there was no grass hoping it would entice a quick return and reward to eat next to me. Well it did get lighter but no sign of a trot. We repeated about 6 times. I am guessing part of her lack of enthusiasm was the heat. I wanted to try the same strategy riding but ran out of time when some people interested in the barn and lesson program needed help. So we walked down to the main barn to get them a brochure. The kid really liked petting Duck but meanwhile I was worried that I just bashed through a million thresholds taking her into the main barn. She has never been in there before and it is huge and there are coke machines etc down the aisle I walked her through. Not to mention the squeeze through the single door to get in. We'll have to play at the main barn again to build confidence and also try the yo-yo with grass again, both on the ground and mounted.

No comments: