New Barn and visiting Kira

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Play in the MUD!!

Today Liz and I met to play for awhile. It has been raining still. It was MUDDY! In fact someone said to me as I pulled up, "You aren't going to RIDE today are you?" Turns out I did. And it was fine. Yeah we mainly played on the ground on the 12 ft (so I wouldn't totally soak and get my 22ft muddy). We practiced stick to me and some sideways. Then we did a little bit of liberty. Our very first time doing any liberty with another horse in the arena. Duck stayed with me the whole time. She didn't want to do what I did (especially jump) in the beginning but then we got going and we even got a close circle at the trot at liberty! I was so excited. And cantering with stick to me. She is so dominant though, head tossing etc.

I've also been teaching her to bow with cookies. Well I need to make my cue clearer and different than "pick up your foot" because now every time I ask to clean out her foot she bows! My bad! So I just need to think of a different cue and refine it so I don't confuse her! I am so happy that she is trying so hard though!

I ended with riding bareback for a little while and still practicing transitions with my seat. It is getting better. Today I got 3 stops with just my seat. It isn't anywhere close to reliable yet, but going in the right direction!

And Liz seemed to have fun with Eli even though it was so muddy. She turned him out first and he ran like a Banchee, but didn't even come close to slipping. Very fun!

Hopefully it will dry out. I am not complaining though because we really need the rain, especially after last years' horrible drought.


No comments: