New Barn and visiting Kira

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Not much play

Between the awful weather and sick kids I haven't been at the barn very much! Well scratch that. I've WORKED at the barn but haven't played much! I was bound and determined to play with Duck last Saturday though. It was pouring and 35 degrees. Originally I was just going to graze her but I decided to do some driving from zone 4 and grazing all around the hayfield. I am playing with lessening her thresholds around the property. She is very unconfident in new situations (clinics, trail rides, etc) so I am going to play as much as I can around the property in addition to the arena to see if I can increase her overall confidence in new situations! She did pretty good walked out rather quickly even in the pouring rain but I think that enthusiasm was more adrenaline and pent up energy from being cooped up in her stall for a few days. We went towards the road, and then towards the woods and WOW she still is scared to death of the area by the woods. We played squeeze game from well over 100ft away and it took several passes for her to go through slowly and confidently. Now I know what to play with later if this rain ever decides to clear up and my kids finally get better. As of yet they both still have fevers of 101 so I won't be going anywhere anytime soon. :(

1 comment:

Karissa said...

Thresholds... fun! I am glad she is doing better. She will get there. I wish I had as much time as you did to play with Jake!