New Barn and visiting Kira

Thursday, March 26, 2009

I'm glad I checked first

Well in my quest to search for a new saddle I thought I would try and make due with what I have. My current english saddle is too small for me as I have mentioned before. Funds are tight so buying a new saddle is out of the question unless it is a used saddle AND I can sell my other one first.

So Tuesday I headed to the barn with my western saddle. I haven't ridden western in at least 4-5 years, maybe longer. But I figured I soaped and conditioned my western saddle and it seems to have a bit more wiggle room in the rear if you know what I mean, so why not give it a try?

Well I got there and Duck was only interested in eating grass. Can you say food monster?
So I was also doing back tracings to see if I WAS able to come by a good used saddle what size/tree width I would need. I have currently been looking at the Duett Companion Trail saddle. I am thinking this would be a good fit for all purpose and trail riding that I want to do.

Back to the back tracing. My theraflex was too thick and big to be able to put on my saddle and then get a tracing with the saddle on so I decided to do it with no pad. Saddle up, walk around let the saddle settle. That all went pretty well besides trying to keep her head out of the grass to get the tracing! LOL

Then I brought my western saddle and figured I'd ride in that for the day. So I drove Duck to the saddle in the back of my open van from her grazing spot in the field. No issues. Had her sniff it and the pad. No issues there either. So we saddled up and did some driving from zone 4 ish out in the hayfield and then to the arena with no problems (with the saddle that is)

After a few tightening I decided to try a circle game at the canter to see if she was truly ok with the saddle. Well I asked her to trot, no problem, then canter. WOW! She cantered about half a lap before taking off full speed ahead bucking! I could see then what was bothering her, the long straps on the back of the saddle I had put on when I originally bought it to tie on camping gear.

Well after a couple circle laps full blown ahead I backed myself into the arena wall so she would have to stop sometime while running crazy! It took several half laps and then she finally calmed down, licked and chewed and stood waiting (and sweating.)

I decided to try again with the circle and off she went again, this time I shut it down much quicker. So then I decided to just flap the straps on her butt while she stood there. She kept trying to come into me (thinking I was asking her to move) but soon got it and stood still much more relaxed. We played stick to me for a bit at the walk/trot and did some sideways and backing and then I decided it was safe to mount up for walk/trot.

She went pretty well in the saddle although she had pretty cranky ears (which could have been from the other horses in the arena.) It felt so different to me to ride western I was having a hard time trying to decide if I was on my balance point or not.

Duck was ridden western in Illinois when Brian rode her, I remember he rode her in Carol Coppinger's clinic western too. I think Jody rode her english. But she hasn't had a western saddle on since moving to NC a year and a half ago.

Long story short, I am glad I did the groundwork and preparation to make sure she was OK with the saddle BEFORE I got on and was able to fix the issue on the ground (although next time I need to match her energy more and much, much quicker in hindsight). But you bet I'll be extra vigilant in checking it out on the ground until I know 100% that she is ok with it! WHEW!

1 comment:

keri said...

Yeah, good thing you were not ON her when she decided to freak about the straps.
So I think I sold my horse. The lady is coming to get her next wednesday. Cool huh? she sounds like she will be really good for rhian and understands the freak in her. She lives down by Capitol Reef and she trail rides 4 times a week. How cool huh? She said that if I'm ever down there she will take me out. I'm excited I found someone so good for her.