New Barn and visiting Kira

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lessons and Change

Well, it has been a long time since I have updated either of my blogs. There has been so much going on and I just haven't taken the time to write.

Duck and I are starting dressage lessons. We have only done 2 so far, but it is wonderful! I love that we are able to continue to refine our communication and I love how I am being taught even more about positive reflexes and how to get them.

On the other front, Duck and I will be changing barns soon. It is a very long drawn out story, but basically it looks like our barn is closing anyway, although I made the decision to move her before that really all came to light. The good side? I won't be having to work weekends anymore. For the last 3 years I have been working weekends in order to help pay down her board. This has made it hard for us as a family on the weekends with the kids' activities and also with Church on Sunday's. On the not so good side, I will be commuting 1/2hr to the barn instead of 5 minutes. I know this shouldn't be a big deal as 1/2 hour (or more) has been standard for me while boarding, but I have been so spoiled having her 5 minutes away for the last almost 3 years! The new place should be good though, she will be on pasture board on about 10 acres, so that will be good. She will have grass to eat and be on a decent sized lot. Her current turn out is very small and is a dry lot. This new barn I am told has more trails so hopefully we can go trail riding more often without having to trailer out.

Oh yeah, trailering, that reminds me. I finally bought a trailer! It is certainly nothing fancy, but it will get us from point A to point B. The really funny thing is that it is a brand made in Utah (where I am from), Logan Coach. So no one here has really heard of it, but I knew what it was right away! For the year it is in better shape than all the others I looked at, but it still needs a few things like new handles for doors so I can lock the tack room and hold backs for the dividers, but all in all it is good.

I am still learning to drive it and haven't driven on the freeway or any other place that I have had to change lanes yet. Working on my thresholds you know!

I am so lucky to be so blessed to enjoy time with my horse and continue my horsemanship journey. And I will try to be better updating my blog!

1 comment:

Parelli Central said...

Lisa, it sure sounds like you had a lot of exciting changes in your life lately. My best wishes for your move. Hopefully, the new barn will be exactly what you are looking for!

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central