New Barn and visiting Kira

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Follow the Rail & Liberty

Ok so I was just planning on spending an hour with Duck today. I've got Christmas cards to mail you know, but I ended up being there for 2 because I was having so much fun! We started on the ground and the big trailer was open so I figured I'd try and squeeze her over the ramp. This trailer has 2 ramps, and one of them is pretty narrow and steep. Anyway today was the first time that she has showed any curiosity in the trailer. She was mouthing the butt bars and rubbed on them without spooking. In the past when she's done anything like that she gets scared when it moves and she will spook. Not today. Really it must not be about the trailer because I haven't been practicing this much, just a little here and there. Over the ramp a couple times and done with it. At one point I thought she was just going to load herself and she didn't look like if I did ask her to go in that she would be near as bracey about it. YEAH!
On to the big arena to play follow the rail. The walk went well even with her not stopping in her favorite corner or at the gate today. We tried some turns both with the reins and then w/ the carrot stick. I think she's getting the hang of it so I decided to trot. Of course she doesn't maintain gait very well and she kept acting like she wanted to roll. Dragging her nose on the ground etc. Well we got about half an arena lap of trot before I quit. I went to the middle and took off her saddle and then her halter. Might I add that I tied the gate shut with the lead rope because she likes to rub on it to open it! I wasn't expecting her to stick to me in the big arena much. Actually I had taken everything off her just to let her roll. She didn't but we had a great time just playing at liberty! A little of everything. I even got a couple steps of sideways without her running off! She is sticking to me pretty well including about one side of the arena at a canter! She left me a few times but I was able to get her to come back (even if it was slowly). We even did squeeze over some poles and crossrails. What was really cool is I went to send her over the barrels and she didn't do it. Then I was already on the other side so I asked her to come and then she jumped them! Even turned and faced and did it back the other way! It was so much fun!
After that I saddled her up and we rode following the outside rail of the arena/fence back to her paddock. She didn't get it at first but then she did. 
I have also been working with trying to get more respect in regards to grazing. She was getting pretty dominant dragging me to the grass etc. I have been playing with just giving her a cue to eat and not letting her eat any other time. So far it is greatly improved! Yeah!


2 comments:

Karissa said...

Another food monster... Kate was just telling me about her lovely ride on Kira the other day who had to stop and eat every second step. You sure know how to pick em!

Lisa R said...

yeah it is the introverted food monsters! LOL