New Barn and visiting Kira

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Undemanding Time

Today I spent over an hour just hanging out with Duck, doing undemanding time. We've been doing a lot lately and I realized I need to give her some more lovin' time! I tried to stay in her turnout pen, but between her and her pasture buddy Oakie, they don't like to leave me alone. Duck asked me to scratch her favorite itchy spot, her butt, so I did. I scratched and scratched all her itchy spots for a good 20 minutes. I got her halter and off we went to graze her favorite spot, the clover by the arena. The hayfield usually is where we go to graze, but it is still real short from being cut a week or so ago. We just hung out in the clover patch and I just let her graze for nearly an hour.
She gets so many flies on her, especially her face, so I did a second try on the fly mask since I first got her 3 years ago and couldn't keep one on her. Well, I found it in the pasture morning. She just doesn't like to wear fly masks even though the flies are so bad they are making her eyes tear and get somewhat goopy. And that is with me wiping fly spray around her eyes, ears, and face!
I tried putting it on again today, we'll see if it makes it until tomorrow. I may just take it off her later tonight if it is still on. Maybe then she won't feel like she needs to rub it off.
There's an idea...

2 comments:

Karissa said...

Nice work! I need to do more of that with Jake!

Kerrin Koetsier said...

Great!

Undemanding time is something that we don't do enough... I was recently discussing undemanding time with someone, and we were highlighting that fact that its really about taking 5 minutes here and there, and putting the relationship first. Sounds as if you're taking the time to do this!

Aren't the flies awful at this time of year?!

Kerrin Koetsier
Parelli Central