New Barn and visiting Kira

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Turbo Drive!

Ok so I had the kiddos at the barn today with me. They were running around enjoying themselves near the water.

My plan had been to continue practicing 2 carrot stick riding, and on the bowtie still.

My friend Liz and I were playing/riding out in the play area by the pond. Started on the ground on the 22ft line practicing sideways and a few figure 8's.

I was practicing figure 8's and then moved onto the bow tie at the trot, or so I thought! We did a couple laps trot, walk around the cone etc. Then I decided to canter and we did one loop around the cone, and then whew we were going at the canter, quickly. We missed our turn at the cone and kept going.
Duck slowed down alright, not super great but not horribly, and she wasn't trying to buck so I thought I'd play with this higher speed since we haven't done it at all.

WOW! My horse can GO! And although it felt super fast to me, Liz says we weren't going as fast as it seemed. But we just played with going and then slowing, life up, life down. At first she got on a bit of adrenaline, not wanting to slow, but as I played with it and towards the end I cantered, then asked her for a short gallop of a few strides and then quit to eat grass.

Granted our brakes weren't perfect but wow it felt good to GO that fast and not feel like I was going to get bucked off at any moment. And we were riding in open spaces!

Very fun, it was like being in Turbo Drive today!

Oh, I and now I can't get her OFF the pedestal! Every time we go near it, she puts all 4 feet up there and then looks at me for her cookie! :) Fun times! Now I just need to move on to the smaller one!

She has been slightly off for awhile in her left front, and the vet is finally coming tomorrow. So hopefully it's nothing serious, but with all the cantering we did today, she should be lame if she is going to show lameness for the vet.

So we'll see how the appointment goes tomorrow, but the play is going great!

No comments: